Friday, December 02, 2005

Priorities

Oprah was on Letterman tonight. She was talking about the work she's doing in South Africa, and about poor kids, saying how if everyone did what they were supposed to do, we could feed them all. But instead, she said, we just go around buying our lattes or whatever. I turned to Chan and said, "She's full of shit. Isn't she the richest person in America or something?" In other words, she could take all her money, beyond what she needs to eat and pay for a roof, and give it to starving children. Instead, she's on TV wearing an outfit that costs more money than most people have ever seen.

Then I thought, Well, at least she's doing something. While making fun of her, I had been writing an e-mail to a stranger in Kansas who collects George Brett baseball cards, asking him if he'd want me to go back to an antique store I was in a while ago, 200 miles away, mind you, to get for him an RC Cola can from 1974 with George Brett's face on it that I saw there, and if he'd pay me for it, or trade similar Rich Gedman memoribilia for it, if he has any.

Comments:
What a kiss-assfest Letterman was last night. It makes you appreciate how good his show CAN be with guests like Howard Stern. Last night was trash. On this one, Jere, you might disagree with you. I don't know you well enough.
 
So confused, P. I disagree with myself? Because of the hypocrisy I described? Or did you mean I disagree with you--in which case I have no idea what you're talking about, as I didn't even give an opinion on the show itself. But if you think a long interview with Oprah is my idea of a good time, then you really don't know me well enough.
 
You should have been me, and you're right. Thanks for the smile. Now that makes sense.
 

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States