Friday, March 31, 2006

?

On that Applebee's commercial with the two dudes singing a parody of the Gilligan's Island theme (it's inconsistent, borrowing from both the opening and closing themes), why the hell do they say "a three hour tooo-er"? Who says "tour" like that? It's almost like they're imitating the original singer or something, but that wouldn't make sense, because he sang "tour" in a perfectly normal and acceptable way.

Even more inexplicable is how Chan refuses to care about or even acknowledge the pure and utter ridiculum that is the way they say "tour."

[Note: If I don't write anything else this weekend, all the people that find this blog on Opening day through googling "baseball" or "Red Sox" or "I still think blogs are cool and I kinda like baseball and the news told me the season's starting soon" are going to see this post and not only never return here, but specifically tell their friends to not come here. Oh well. Their funeral.]

Comments:
Chan's gotta get with the program. He's probably got Gator basketball fever.
 
You know which one I hate? The like, priceline.com or something commercial, where the guy's singing some rock tune, and then the last line comes just after the music dies off, and he says, "Wouldn't it be loveR-ly?"

Who the FUCK says "loverly?"
 
Dear BS,
Julie Andrews.
All I want is a room somewhere
Far away from the cold night air
With one enormous chair,
Oh, wouldn't it be loveR-ly...
From "My Fair Lady." A cockney thing.
Your friend,
Jere's Mom
 
Audrey Hepburn in the original B'way cast?? As well as the flick?
 
Or not, I guess. Help.
 
Is Boston the only place where people say "pock-a-book" instead of pocketbook? I know that "liberry" is a universally mispronounced word, as is "supposively." My best friend (who is working on her graduate degree) has said "supposively" throughout the course of our 17 year friendship. I've never corrected this - not sure why. I think I just like to giggle a little in my head when she does it.

And don't get me started on "you welcome." Are we that lazy here in Boston that the 're part of the contraction gets completely lopped off?
 
Chan is psyched about his Gators. Had he actually picked them in our pool, he'd have won by now. TJ by Chan.


I knew about loverly--but only because my mom had already told me. I didn't know before that.


You should hear some of the things people from Long Island say!
 
Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison were in My Fair Lady. Harrison batted cleanup.
 
Ocassionally, wee ones in Brooklyn, pronounce pocketbook as pock-a-book.
 
My mom says pock-a-book, as do I (sometimes) because of her. Also, I have friends in Arizona that say too-er. Still, that commercial is HORRIBLE! Chan needs to start caring about important stuff like this.
 
Well, if someone said in some modern context, "To thine own self be true," I'd think, "who the fuck says 'thine?'" You know?

I mean, loverly?
 
Okay, I see what you're sayin'.

I also thought it was pockabook at a very young age. I also thought "next door" was "next store." Because it sounded like that, and I just figured that for the purpose of the phrase, each dwelling was referred to as a "store." I never would've thought of an entire house as a "door."
 

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States