Thursday, April 20, 2006

TJ By Some Lady

I forgot to tell this story from Patriots Day. For the bottom of the ninth inning, we went from section 23 to the standing-room area behind section 25. As you know, I had to leave for Shea, and I didn't want to get stuck in the crowd leaving Fenway. On any other day, I would've stayed in my seat, even moved closer if possible. But on this day, I had to be ready to move, so Witchy and I stood close to the exit ramp for the final frame.

The area I described provides a nice view of the field--unless the entire crowd is standing. The people in front of you can gain some height by standing, while your only hope is "tippy toes." Unfortunately, the crowd was standing for most of the inning. I feel bad for Witchy, since I caused us to have a worse view than what we'd had up until then.

Right in front of me was a woman who was anxious to leave. With two outs, she leaned toward the exit, but her equally uninterested husband-type kind of reminded her that there were only two outs. I was hoping she'd leave so I could grab her spot for Witchy, put her in it, and then stand behind her and watch over her head. But the woman stayed. On the Youkilis ball, as I'm stretching to see over her head, praying to all that is holy that he beats it out, the woman literally turns around to leave. In mid-play. Youk barely makes it, and I yell "safe," really loud, a moment before the crowd erupts. She turns back around and settles back into her spot. I had my chance, but I let the stupid lady go back in front of me, as she hadn't even gotten past me when she started to walk away. One more step, and I would've snatched her underappreciated view.

Before I knew it, I saw the ball hit Loretta's bat, and I knew it was gone, even though the ball was well above overhang-level. Then we were jumping around. It was an awesome ending. And yes, the dumb lady and her hubby left before we did, and they probably didn't even have to get to New York by 7.

Terrible job by that lady.

Tonight it's Wake against "Talk and song from tongues of lilting grace, whose sounds caress my ear/But not a word I heard could I relate, the story was quite clear".

Comments:
Zep reference. Well-played.

Three innings to go, two runs down. Kazmir out, thank Christ.
 

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States