Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Doing What Lincoln Couldn't

Did you ever wish you could go back in time and watch a scene from when you were very young? One of those "family legend" moments, just to see how it really went down?

Well, now you can with my new Jere-corder! i.e. we and all future generations are able to look back in time, because our whole lives will be recorded in one way or another...

But this isn't a post about the pros and cons of a documenting-obsessed culture.

This is about the fact that I just purchased, with my skillful fingers, a video recording of a concert I attended in 1994. It was a Bikini Kill show at a coffee shop in Lincoln, Nebraska, where I was going to college at the time. It will be interesting to see how the reality differs from my memory.

I recall Kathleen Hannah stepping into the crowd, parting us like the Crimson Ocean, and doing a cartwheel or walkover, and then going back up onstage. In my memory, I was right there at the edge of the cleared area, and she flipped right past me. The video will show where I really was, if I'm visible at all.

From the site where I found that show, I also got a vid of a NOFX show I went to in Omaha around the same time. The weird thing is, I already got on TV for that one, because highlights of the show were on the local news the next night. We were sitting there in the dorm room, and we saw this teaser for a story about college kids having premiscuous sex. They showed a bunch of kids at a concert, and we realized it was us, at the NOFX show. We'd wondered what the really professional camera with the bright light on the edge of the stage was for. Turns out it was to show that we were some kind of deviants for going to punk shows!

The point of all this is that I think I might try to seek out videos of other shows I attended in the past. Or not. It would really get interesting if people started selling bootleg videos of stuff like "kids playing kickball at Ridgebury school at recess, 10/5/84." Hey, I could be in that!

Comments:
I'd like to watch the video of the Dead Milkmen concert that I went to in Pittsburgh back in 1988 to see if my grad school roommate looked as ridiculous slam-dancing as I thought he did. Bitchin' Camaro!
 
The person I went to both the Bikini Kill show and the NOFX show LOVED "Bitchin' Camaro."
 

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States