Friday, June 15, 2007

Barry Bonds (or) Mikey O'Kane's Favorite Player Circa '92

I won't boo Barry Bonds. I guess that sounds like a profound statement, but it's not meant to be. In fact, who knows, maybe I will throw a light boo at him once or twice. My point is that I really don't care about Barry Bonds. What did he ever do to me?

You all know my baseball priorities. Bonds isn't doing anything that gets me angry. Sure, I wish no baseball players had ever taken steroids. But why am I supposed to be all up-in-arms about some guy from the National League?

Oh, right, the record. Well, what's more important? The Red Sox winning, or statistical lists? There's no debate on that one in my mind. So I'll boo Jason Giambi, loudly, if I want to boo cheaters. His cheating cost us a pennant in '03. My team. My kids were on that beach, Martin, if you know what I'm sayin'.

Is that why Bonds is so hated, while Giambi gets lauded for his total bullshit "manning up"? Because of "the record"? Since when are people so gung-ho about the sanctity of baseball? Pete Rose was gambling on the sport, and even his biggest detractors don't talk about stripping him of his records. If I cared about "the sport" above all, wouldn't I do things like, I don't know, root against a guy with a 55-game hitting streak? (The only time I'd root for a Yankee-held record not to fall would be when another Yankee was about to break it.) Or try to get the designated hitter rule abolished? (I don't hate interleague play because I'm a traditionalist, I hate it because I think it's stupid.)

A lot of people say they're a "baseball fan" first. I'm a Red Sox fan first, an anti-Yankee fan second, and...that about wraps up my list. I'd rather go to a minor league game than watch a major league game whose outcome has no effect on the AL East race. I love the game of baseball, not the business that is "Major League Baseball."

When I think of the great Henry Aaron, I do get a little upset. After what he went through, it's a shame to think of someone breaking his record with help from illegal substances. But if it were a clean player about to break the record, we'd have to deal with the fact that a great guy is losing that record anyway.

So when I'm at the game this weekend, I won't act much different when Bonds is up than I will when Jeff Kent is up. (Is he still on the Giants? See how much I care about the NL?)

I'll save my boos for the Yankees.

Comments:
I believe race plays a part in this as well. If Bonds were white, things would be different. Maybe not that different, but definitely different. I left that out because that's a whole other, much longer, post.

I don't think that if you're rooting against Bonds, you're a racist. At all. But I do believe there are plenty of people who'd go easier on him if he weren't black. There is plenty of racism in this world. Terrible job, racists.
 
I think Bonds is an a-hole, black or white.

Having written that, I don't think I'll be booing him tonight if for no other reason than I'll be too busy 1) cheering for our team to win a damn game and 2) giving Dave Roberts the ovations I wasn't able to give him on opening day 2005!
 
So let me ask you this--if he were a really nice guy but everything else were the same, do you think he'd be booed? Booed as much?
 
Also note: If everyone's really getting on him, if they're doing anything creative, don't think I'll feel bad for him....
 
No need to boo Bonds when you can be cheering Dave Roberts instead.

And although race is inexorably entwined in anything that happens in this country, it probably shouldn't be overstated here -- Mark McGuire would be getting booed if he were at the plate today too.
 
Guess I need to clarify: This is a post about Barry Bonds. It doesn't mean whatever I do when Bonds is up somehow supercedes the incredible ovation I'll be a part of when Dave Roberts comes up. That I'll be cheering Red Sox legend Dave Roberts goes without saying--yet I have mentioned his return, in two of the last three posts. You'll see plenty of pics of Dave here after the weekend, I promise.

I mean seriously, when Bonds comes to the plate, will the whole crowd say in unison, "We're too busy to boo, we're still cheering Dave Roberts!"? No, they'll do what they want for each hitter as he comes up.
 
In fact, this is exactly why I didn't write "I'll be more concerned with cheering the Red Sox and Dave Roberts..." in the post. (And I did have it written but I deleted it.) Because that made me think of the people who said "I'm more concerned with cheering David Ortiz than booing Johnny Damon." You can do both. There's plenty of time for both, in fact. The weird thing is, I'm getting these responses from saying that I WON'T be booing Bonds! What's going on here?
 
"I believe race plays a part in this as well. If Bonds were white, things would be different. Maybe not that different, but definitely different. I left that out because that's a whole other, much longer, post."

I couldn't agree more, and anybody who says differently is either a fool or deluding themselves.
 
If Mark McGwire, despite being a nice guy and white, were the subject of the book, "Game of Shadows" he'd be getting booed from stadium to stadium, too. Race means nothing in this. Bonds plays that card beautifully when the going gets tough.

Just read the book. It should convince all but the biggest Bonds sycophants.
 
"If Mark McGwire, despite being a nice guy and white, were the subject of the book, "Game of Shadows" he'd be getting booed from stadium to stadium, too."

Sorry, don't buy it, and I did
read the book. I believe that race plays a huge part in this, the same way sexism plays a huge part in many people reactions to Hillary Clinton. The same attributes that are admired in white men are less well tolerated in women and people of color.
 
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
So when I'm at the game this weekend, I won't act much different when Bonds is up than I will when Jeff Kent is up. (Is he still on the Giants? See how much I care about the NL?)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is too bad. Baseball's a great game. It's a shame you don't seem to like it that much.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Race means nothing in this.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is so astonishingly naive I can't even believe it.

My take on steroids is that it's effects are likely, for the most part, nearly indistinguishable from those stemming from smaller ballparks, better bats, different baseballs, the rise of the relief pitcher, the fall of the starting pitcher, the streamlining of training regimens, and the specialization on offense. I get why it pisses people off, but it's effect is way overblown, I think.
 
To not care about the NL doesn't mean one loves the game any less.

And I assure you, I knew about Jeff Kent. I mean, do you really think I couldn't of looked it up? It's called jokin' around.
 

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States