Monday, July 16, 2007

Speed

A few days ago, Joy mentioned a story about how Papelbon hates stadium pitch-speed indicators because the batter can look right up and see if the pitcher's off his game. I'd never even thought of this. Great call, Jon, I said. (To myself in my living room at 2 AM, probably.)

But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that as long as there's a radar gun, the opposing team is going to know how fast you're throwing. Even if they only allowed the pitch speed to go to the TV audience, the other team could still easily get this information. Maybe they should ban radar guns, except for scouts, and maybe have a private gun that releases all the info at the end of each season.

Or how about this to even things out? A bat-speed indicator!

I'm back at Fenway tonight with KC in town. Everyone keeps talking about how the Yanks are playing all these shitty teams for the rest of the year, forgetting that we're playing those teams, too. If we can play like we have been, we're not getting caught. (Note to Tito: To "play like we have been," we need the whole team on the field.)

Comments:

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States