Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Naked City

Have you seen this NYT feature called "One in 8 Million"? It's a series of stories about New Yorkers told through pictures and each subject's words. Sometimes just the person's voice makes the story interesting. Anyway, as I was going through them, I wondered if I'd come across anyone I was aware of, slim as the chances were. But I think I actually found someone I met!

When I was working with seniors in NYC, I spent a lot of time in waiting rooms, having taken an old man or woman to a doctor's appointment. One time I sat next to a woman who told me she'd worked at Gracie Mansion for years--she even had a nickname for Mayor Dinkins. Well, here's her story! As I listened to it the first time, I started thinking it might be her, but I wasn't sure...until I saw the accompanying blurb that said she had nicknames for all the mayors she worked for. It also said that she doesn't want to reveal the nicknames, so I can't tell you the one she told me. But let's just say if Terry Francona were to nickname David Dinkins, he'd probably come up with the same one....

Comments:

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States