Thursday, April 21, 2011

In-Market Streaming Still (14/15ths) A Myth

In June of 2009, I got pissed when it was announced that the Yankees--and only the Yankees--would have their broadcasts available on mlb.tv in their own market. The press release at the time said

MLB President and COO Bob DuPuy said in a conference call he expects more clubs to follow this season and then "we'll be up to a majority of the clubs" for 2010.


Well, it turns out that was total bullshit. It's 2011, and only one other team, the Padres, has in-market games. (I have confirmed this with someone at mlb.tv.)

I'm wondering if MLB realized they'd made a huge mistake and just ended the plan. (While continuing to give two teams out of 30 special treatment.) Because I know if I could get Red Sox games through mlb.tv, I'd scrap cable entirely. Red Sox games are the one reason we have cable. A lot of people just don't have cable at all anymore, but I think baseball is probably the reason a lot more people are holding on to it. Unless you're a Yanks or Pads fan, cable TV is the only way to see the team in your market, because it would be blacked out any other way.

I have written to Mr. DuPuy about this, we'll see what he says. But I am guessing the cable companies are holding him in their collective basement.

Note: I am realizing the irony of all this. After years of not being able to see the Red Sox on TV in western Connecticut, I finally move to NESN territory, and now I'm screwed again, unable to get the Red Sox through any means BUT cable, at a time when I want to get rid of cable like everybody else. Damn you, Ghost of Steinbrenner!

Red Sox @ Angels, 10:05 p.m.

Comments:

Post a Comment

If you're "anonymous," please leave a name, even if it's a fake one, for differentiation purposes.

If you're having trouble commenting, try signing in to whatever account you're using first, then come back here once you're signed in.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

My Photo
Name:
Location: Rhode Island, United States